built for life

Our Company

From humble beginnings in a small garage in South Melbourne, Wilson Transformer Company has grown to become the largest Australian manufacturer of power and distribution transformers with offices in Australia and overseas. 

The Company was founded by Jack Wilson, the father of the present Executive Chairman, Robert Wilson. The “Chief”, as he was known to most of his early employees, was a man of vision, with the ability to turn ideas into reality - a difficult task in those days, when technical experience, equipment and capital were limited. Despite these difficulties, the company grew steadily by reinvesting its profits in people, technology, assets and processes.

Today, Wilson Transformer Company is the largest Australian-owned and based manufacturer of power and distribution transformers, operating two manufacturing facilities in Glen Waverley and Wodonga respectively. WTC also operate offices in New Zealand and the United Kingdom, subsidiaries in the United States of America and Australia, as well as joint ventures in Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. WTC provides end-to-end transformer solutions including product development, design, manufacture, factory test, delivery, installation, site testing, maintenance and refurbishment. Our wholly owned subsidiary, Dynamic Ratings provides transformer, rotating machine and substation monitoring and control solutions, and our joint venture, TJ|H2b Analytical Services provides testing, analysis and diagnostics on insulating oil and SF6 gas. Hundreds of thousands of our transformers are in service around Australia and other parts of the world, including the Antarctic, Africa, China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Middle East, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Vietnam.

Our Journey from 1933 

1933

Wilson Transformer Company (WTC) was founded by Jack Wilson in Sturt Street, South Melbourne under the initial Company name of Wilson Electric Products. During the first four years, the Company moved to Dorcas Street and then Wells Street, South Melbourne. During this time, the Company also changed its name to Wilson Electric Transformer Company. Much later, in 1987, the Company name was changed to Wilson Transformer Company.

1938

WTC moved its operation to a 17,000 square feet site in Crockford Street, Port Melbourne, the site of the old Port Melbourne market.

1952

WTC moved its operations to Glen Waverley, Australia, the present site of its Head Office and Power Transformer manufacturing operations. The Glen Waverley site was continuously upgraded with major expansions in 1959, 1963, 1969 and then in 2009.

1959

A Technical Design and Manufacturing Information Agreement was entered into with Ferranti Ltd of the UK for transformers 132kV and above. At the same time, Ferranti acquired a 23% equity in the Company.

1960

The first two 10MVA 132kV transformers were produced for the Woomera rocket range.

1963

A small distribution transformer factory was established in South Australia to serve the local market.

1970

Robert Wilson joined WTC after completing his engineering degree at Monash University.

1972

Jack Wilson, the Company founder, died on 30 March 1972 following a short illness. 1973 Order received for two 30MVA 220kV transformers for the SECV Newport Power Station. These were to be the second 220kV units produced by the Company, the first being for the Tasmania.

1979

Robert Wilson appointed Managing Director. Later the same year Jim Murray rejoined the Company.

1981

WTC moved part of its existing distribution transformer manufacture to a new plant in the Albury/Wodonga. This site enabled the Company to utilise modern manufacturing techniques and production flow to produce its newly developed range of distribution transformers.

1983

The 23% Ferranti equity in WTC which had been transferred to NEI was acquired by the Wilson Family and senior employees.

1984

The first of many 150MVA 220 kV transformers was produced for the SECV for the Victorian transmission grid.

1989

The Wilson Family acquired the remaining equity in WTC they did not own. 

1990

WTC was certified to AS/NZS ISO 9001: Quality Management Systems. Internal and external audits, performance assessment and reviews have become a regular part of the Company’s Quality Management System.

1993

A Joint Venture EPE Wilson Transformers Sdn Bhd (EWT) was established in Malaysia where distribution transformers in the range of 50kVA to 2500kVA and up to 33kV are manufactured along the same principles as those in Wodonga. The JV plant is a major supplier in the Malaysian market.

1993

From 1993 to 1998 around 150 power transformers ranging in size from 12.5MVA 33kV to 240MVA 275kV supplied to Malaysia.

1994

A strategic decision was made to create separate Power and Distribution Transformer Business Units to generate focus within the businesses. Following this decision, the remaining distribution transformer manufacture was transferred from Glen Waverley to Wodonga.

1998

WTC opened a United Kingdom sales and support office to service the customers in the UK, the Middle East and Africa.

2000

A Joint Venture United Transformers Electric Company (Utec) was formed in Saudi Arabia. By 2006 an expansion program to manufacture 15,000 distribution transformers and compact substations commenced enabling Utec to service the Middle East and North African markets. By 2013 a further expansion program was implemented to manufacture 23,000 units.

2002

Dynamic Ratings Inc formed, headed by Tony Pink, to develop the North American monitoring and control business of Dynamic Ratings.

2002

TJ|H2b Analytical Services Pty Ltd JV Laboratory commenced operations. TJ|H2b is a NATA certified independent laboratory specialising in the diagnostic testing of oil and SF6 gas used in transformers, tap-changers and circuit breakers. At the same time, the power transformer facility introduced vapour phase drying technology into the production of power transformers.

2006

Dynamic Ratings, a wholly owned subsidiary of WTC, become a world leader in providing the monitoring, control, and communication solutions for electrical power apparatus.

2008

TJ|H2b Analytical Services Pty Ltd JV opened a laboratory in Malaysia. The Philippines laboratory was opened in 2010.

2009

The first of six grid connection 120MVA 275/33kV transformers delivered to Scottish Power for the Clyde North and South wind farm, at the time the largest land based wind farm in Europe.

2009

A$65M upgrade to the Glen Waverley Power Transformer manufacturing facility and A$15M upgrade to the Wodonga Distribution Transformer manufacturing facility commenced.

2010

Partnership with GridON Systems formed to develop Fault Current Limiters (FCLs). FCLs were delivered to UK Power Networks (as part of an ETI project) in 2013 and Western Power Distribution (UK) in 2014.

2012

WTC became the first Australian company to be recognized as a certified global supplier to Chevron.

2013

Two 225MVA 20/220kV generator transformers delivered to True Energy (now EnergyAustralia).

2013

A 30MVA Quad Booster delivered to UK Power Networks for their distribution system.

2013

The first of four 93MVA rectifier transformers delivered to Tomago Aluminium. 

2014

A 360MVA regulating transformer was delivered to Portland Aluminium.

2014

The first of three 135MVA 220/13.8kV generator transformers delivered to the Manapouri Power Station in New Zealand in 14 week from date of order.

2014

A 550MVA 330/132kV auto transformer was delivered to Western Power Corporation, the largest unit made by the Company.

2015

WTC was awarded a contract to supply 2 x 170MVA power transformers for the 240MW Ararat Wind Farm.

2016

WTC (SEA) Pte Ltd was established in Singapore to provide closer on-the-ground support to our customer and contractor network in the South East Asia region.